Monday, March 12, 2012

What don't I ask for?

Kenton
Thought-provoking. What don't I ask for?
DO YOU LIKE HER MORE?
http://thefatherslovethroughamommieseyes.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/do-you-like-her-more/
Sunday, February 26 at 11:43am

Andrew: Interesting. Especially if we apply the analogy to spiritual things as well as physical things. Sure we like the idea of asking for, and getting, more stuff. But what do we not have spiritually because we don't ask for it? Then the next question is, why don't we ask? Personally, I often don't ask because I am afraid of the answer, or the method of the answer. I'm nice and content in my little bubble, and the idea of the possibility of being asked to go outside my bubble scares me.



Kenton: I guess I forgot about physical things. Of course there's food on my table and so on. It's the intangible/spiritual things that I think I don't ask for. I like your reasoning. I've had a few conversations over the last week about God saying that I "can do things the easy way or the hard way". I'm trying to do the easy way as much as I can. And yes, risks outside your comfort zone aren't natural.

I think my problem is that I don't look to God first when I notice a lack in my life. I try to fix it myself rather than asking for the help I need. Then, because I don't ask, I don't have. But that's just me.

Andrew: That is a good point, I think it's pretty common for us to try to fix stuff ourselves rather than call for God's help. We need to remember not to assume that God's too busy for a small thing and thus we should try to fix it first so we don't bother God.

Kenton: I was reminded strongly (I.E. between the eyes with a 2x4) tonight just how true this is. I also don't ask because I'm afraid that God will let me down and sometimes I feel that I'd rather have a half-hearted dependable God than a super-powerful God that ignores me sometimes.

So ask and see what you come up with! Me and God are gonna have words tonight. About what, I don't quite know yet.

The End.

Kristen: Those scriptures are good reminders that we should not be afraid to be bold with God and ask Him for what is on our hearts. We will know the answer we get from Him, whether it's yes, no, or wait (silence). We need to thank Him for having our best interest at heart like a Father does his children and know that if the answer is no or what we asked for doesn't work out, then there is Good reason for it. Thanks for sharing Kenton.

Andrew: You make a very good point. I would say that a half-hearted, dependable God is more "attractive" because He would be predictable, thus fitting into our plans, mediocre as they are. If we admit that God is super-powerful, but that he doesn't use that power the way we think he should, ie. he "ignores" us, then we can't plan what we want him to do for us. Which is scarier by far.

Andrew: Also, I had another thought. Sometimes we don't ask because we don't want to be told no again. But I realized, that is a part of growing up. A father says no to his children a lot more often when they are younger and don't understand fully what they are asking. As the children get older and have a wider view, they ask for better, more appropriate things, and the father says yes more often. Same with God, when we mature and become more like Jesus, we ask for better, more appropriate things, and God says yes more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment